11.24.2007

hola!



I'm back, feeling rested, revitalized, inspired and sun-kissed. It has been almost 10 years since I've had the great pleasure of visiting Mexico. Though there have been many changes since 1998, it remains as warm, friendly and welcoming as ever. The Mexican people have always been good to me, and their kindness, good humour and playfulness continued to greatly enrich my latest travel adventures. And the food!!!! Oh, my lord, did I eat. When living at home in Vancouver, I am known to be a very healthy and sensible eater. Daily fresh squeezed juice, ground flax, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, complex carbs, blah blah blah. But when in Rome or, in this case, west and central Mexico, I chose to bust out and celebrate my own little culinary mardi gras. Were I to eat this way at home, it would likely do me in. Yet, somehow, by combining the right levels of street food such as beef and pork tacos, greasy tortas (meat sandwiches with chilies and loads of mayonnaise), liquados (fruit milkshakes), hilados (ice cream), chicken stuffed tamales, and cold beer with just the right balance of sun exposure, constant smiles from perfect strangers, ocean swimming, siestas, and walking / perspiring (to the next tastey snack).....I felt great and came home weighing the same as before I left. I would never participate in such indulgent and uncharacteristic behaviour without the help of my trusty amigo, acidophilus. One a day definitely keeps the touristo away. This stuff is golden. Start taking it 1 or 2 days before the beginning of your trip and continue taking one capsule daily until your return for a healthy tummy and a delicious vacation.....stay tuned for my Mexican culinary experiences. Muy bien.

1 comment:

fupu said...

Ooh, that dog looks delicious. How are you dressing and preparing it? -- TofuPunk.com