9.27.2007

dropping in on seattle



After all my farm visits this summer, I was starting to crave an urban fix. I hadn’t been to Seattle in awhile, my friend Pedro had extended an invitation for me to come down and visit him anytime, plus I was craving just one more little road trip before I hunker down and face the inevitable arrival of autumn. I know, I'm being a big baby. I'm just not ready yet.

My first stop was to the world famous Pike Place Market, sprawling a city block of Western Avenue (between Pike and Pine). Its stalls, shops and businesses sell everything from fresh flowers and produce to antiques and jewelry. Adding to that its many restaurants and bars, there truly is something for everyone. Oh....and did I mention the view?

Family owned Alveriz Farms is situated on 120 acres in Mabton (Yakima Valley), making it one a the largest organic vegetable farms in eastern Washington. Started in 1981 by Don Hilario, it now grows over 100 varieties of organic peppers. Their farm is also the first in Washington to successfully grow organic peanuts. Word is, these tastey morsels are available roasted, ‘baseball game style’ at the market.

Soooo many fresh flowers. Dahlias for sale everywhere.

This beautifully curated stall consisted of all things bee related; honey, soap, salves, candles, lip balm and lotions. Grown and made on a community land trust in Arlington (1 hour north of Seattle), all of Moon Valley Honey’s products are organic.

Sunny honey. Click here to see more photos.

No comments: